Talking Book Services maintains an extensive collections of book and assistive devices for individuals with low vision. If you have any questions concerning the Talking Book Services collections, please email us at email@example.com or call toll-free, 1-800-922-7818.
Access to Web-Braille
Web-Braille is the National Library Service's system for distributing Braille books via the Internet. More than 8,000 grade 2 Braille books are available for download or online use by eligible individuals and institutions with Braille embossers, refreshable Braille displays, and other Braille-aware devices. Additional titles are being added on a regular basis. Users provide their own equipment, must have an email address and access to the Internet. Print/Braille and grade 1 Braille books are not included. Web-Braille is now included in BARD. Your BARD password gives you access to this service.
Assistive devices are available for in-house use at the State Library to aid readers who cannot use conventional text. These devices include:
- Closed Circuit Television magnifies text up to 60 times its original size.
- Zoomtext® magnifies computer screen images up to 16 times their original size.
- JAWS® for Windows reads aloud information on a computer screen.
- OpenBook® scans a printed page and reads the text aloud.
- Adaptive Devices, including a larger, more easily-managed mouse; keyboard guards to guide hands in typing; touch screen computer monitor; and wheelchair accessible desks are available.
- Optelec ClearReader + translates text to speech.
- Perkins Brailler for use in library or temporary loan.
Braille is available to qualified patrons through interlibrary loan from a cooperating Braille library.
Described Videos are available for patrons who are blind or have low vision. A narrator describes action, characters, locations, costumes and sets without interfering with the dialogue or sound effects. TBS has DVDs available, and Described Video lists are available by request.
Large Print Books
More than 18,000 titles, including popular fiction and non-fiction, are available in Large Print. Large Print lists are available by request.
A variety of popular magazine subscriptions are available at no charge to eligible patrons. Magazines are available in large print, digital formats, and as BARD downloads.
Over 70,000 recorded general fiction and non-fiction books are offered. Books are available for adults, young adults and children. Textbooks are not available from Talking Book Services (TBS). Talking Book Services provides, for free, the loan of specialized playback equipment designed for use by blind, visually impaired, and other readers with qualifying disabilities.